at Yoga Heights, (3506 Georgia Avenue, NW, Columbia Heights, Washington DC, 20010)
Topic: Deep Roots in the Storm
Our collective life is perhaps more challenging that it has been in many years. At the same time, for most of us, personal struggles don’t recede in favor of the collective. Under such conditions, how can we support ourselves and one another in staying true to our deepest intentions? How can we ensure that our necessary resistance to injustice doesn't come to define us? What might the practices of wisdom and compassion offer to all of us beyond merely getting by?
The LGBTIQ group meets the 2nd Saturday of every month. Please keep an eye on the website calendar for monthly readings and updates.
The IMCW LGBTQ Sangha aspires to:
- explore our LGBTIQ identities in the light of the Buddhist dharma, across multiple and intersecting lines of difference that include, but are not limited to: sexuality, gender, race, ethnicity, socio-economic class, age, and dis/abilities.
- provide a safe and intimate space where LGBTIQs can deepen the practice of meditation and mindful dialogue.
- study the dharma from diverse perspectives and to inspire insightful discussion.
- cultivate a sense of belonging and community both within the LGBTIQ sangha and the larger IMCW sangha.
Format of our meeting
- 30-minute sit/walking meditation
- Short dharma talk
- Mindful discussion
- Dedication of Merit/Closing/Announcements
- Optional dinner at a local restaurant after meeting
These teachings and gatherings are offered free of charge. If you would like to make a donation (offer dana) to support my teaching and programming of diverse dharma events within IMCW, and to and to pay the rental fee to Yoga Heights, you may do so after the meeting. Any amount you are able to offer is greatly appreciated.
Newcomers to meditation and long time practitioners are welcome to attend. You may bring your own sitting gear if you like. We provide blankets to sit on the floor and some chairs.
Please arrive by 3:45 p.m. so that we can begin promptly at 4:00 p.m. If you can volunteer to set up, please let me know and arrive by 3:30 p.m.
PLEASE RSVP so we know how many chairs to set up. Thanks! Hope you can join us!
Parking is on-street. Please read parking signs carefully to avoid getting a ticket.
Learn more about our ongoing classes
What is Dana?