at The Nora School, (955 Sligo Avenue, Silver Spring, MD, 20910)
Sundays, September 17-October 29 and November 12, 11 a.m.–1:30 p.m.
Saturday, November 4, 11 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
Daylong Retreat on Saturday, October 28, 10 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
No class on October 15
This course is designed for graduates of MBSR (and others with significant mindfulness training) to refresh and expand skills and deepen practice.
This course will focus on:
- Deepening or cultivating a regular meditation practice
- Exploring the power of heart-opening practices
- Building greater trust in the wisdom of the body
- Untangling from habitual thought patterns and behaviors that cause suffering
- Developing communication skills and fostering community
- Bringing mindfulness more fully into daily life for greater ease
The course will include:
- Guided instruction in a variety of meditation practices
- Gentle stretching and mindful yoga
- Group dialogue and discussions aimed at enhancing skillful means and connection in everyday life
- Daily home practice, including guided meditations
- Several meditation practice CDs and a home practice manual
Comments from prior Deepening Practice participants:
"One of the things I take away is the cultivation of space to feel and connect to my body through difficult emotions and uncertainty. I feel like I have gained access to a core, central voice of wisdom that is just waiting for me to access at any moment." Raisa G.
"I have become more sensitive to taking another person’s perspective and also to considering their possible intentions. I have noticed that after meditating I am more calm and even-keeled, positive, strong, optimistic. I feel like I ruminate far less than before on emotionally-laden events." Arlene G.
"This class helped me to develop goals (in a non-striving way) for my practice – to see it as a discipline. I liked the toolkit of practice approaches." Awo A.
Participants attending the class should bring comfortable clothing, layers for adjusting to the temperature, and pillows for comfort. Chairs will be provided.
This venue is accessible for those with mobility impairments.
Series manager: Stan Eisenstein
IMCW Refund Policy: If you cancel more than three weeks before the start of the class series, your payment will be refunded minus a $50 administrative fee. IMCW cannot offer refunds for cancellations made fewer than 3 weeks before the beginning of the class series. There is no refund for classes you do not attend. Issuing a refund check may take 2-4 weeks.
Late Registration: Online registration will close at 12 a.m. the Tuesday before the series begins. To request late registration, please email the class series manager to check if there are still openings.
Scholarships: Scholarships are available. To apply, please email the series manager before registering. Please apply early as funds are limited. You can also direct a donation to the scholarship fund on the registration form.
Accessibility: For disability-related accommodations, please email the class series manager with your request at least three weeks before the event.