at Yoga Heights, (3506 Georgia Avenue, NW, Columbia Heights, Washington DC, 20010)
PLEASE NOTE NEW LOCATION.
Topic: "Abiding in Metta Through the Good, Bad, and the Ugly"
Along with our practice of meditation and mindfulness, it is imperative - especially in the world we're currently living in -- to cultivate a heart that's ready for anything. We will explore and contemplate the Metta (Lovingkindness) Sutta below as translated by my teacher Caitriona Reed and how it can inspire and deepen our resolve to wake up and be free.
Hope you can join us.
Metta Sutta by Caitriona Reed
Aspirations of the People of Color Sangha
- To explore our identity as People of Color in the light of the Buddhist dharma, across multiple and intersecting lines of difference that include, but are not limited to: race, ethnicity, sexuality, gender, socio-economic class, age, and dis/abilities.
- To provide a safe and intimate space where People of Color can deepen the practice of meditation and mindful dialogue.To study the dharma from diverse perspectives and to inspire insightful discussions.
- To study the dharma from diverse perspectives and to inspire insightful discussions.
- To cultivate a sense of belonging and community both within the People of Color sangha and the larger IMCW sangha.
2015 Meeting Schedule
April 25 @ Yoga Heights with Amma Thanasanti Bikkhuni
Format of our meeting
- 30-minute sit/walking meditation
- Short dharma talk
- Mindful discusssion
- Dedication of Merit/Closing/Announcements
Optional dinner at a local restaurant after meeting.
These teachings and gatherings are offered free of charge. If you would like to make a donation (offer dana) to support my teaching and programming of diverse dharma events within IMCW, and to and to pay the rental fee to Yoga Heights, you may do so after the meeting. Any amount you are able to offer is greatly appreciated.
Newcomers to meditation and long time practitioners are welcome to attend. You may bring your own sitting gear if you like. We provide blankets to sit on the floor and some chairs.
Please arrive by 3:45 p.m. so that we can begin promptly at 4:00 p.m. If you can volunteer to set up, please let me know and arrive by 3:30 p.m.
PLEASE RSVP so we know how many chairs to set up. Thanks! Hope you can join us!
These teachings and gatherings are offered freely. If you would like to make a donation (offer dana) to support my teaching and programming of diverse dharma events within IMCW, and to help pay for the rental fee at Yoga Heights, you may do so after the meeting. Any amount you are able to offer is greatly appreciated.
What is dana?
Parking is on-street. Please mindfully read parking signs and meter instructions.
Learn more about the POC group.
Learn more about IMCW weekly classes.