People of Color Sangha
- 6:30 PM at Yoga Heights DC, (3506 Georgia Avenue, NW, Washington, DC, 20010) (Map It)
Topic: "Walking the Path Together: Exploring the True Power of Sangha"
Article: "We Walk the Path Together" by Larry Yang
As this country experiences division on so many levels, how can we as practitioners and as a People of Color sangha practice together to begin to deconstruct the barriers that are created both internally and externally that create separateness, and to practice in ways that bridge the gap of ignorance through understanding, acceptance, and compassion?
At this session, we will begin the exploration of what in us needs to be deeply acknowledged and held, to then cultivate strength and courage to be fully who we are to break down systems of oppression and to embody the dharma that feels true and supportive for the liberation of all beings.
Hope you can join us.
The POC sangha meets every 4th Saturday of the month, except for meetings on November 19 and December 17, 2016 (due to the holidays). Please keep an eye on the affinity website calendar.
Aspirations of the People of Color Sangha
- To explore our identity as People of Color in the light of the Buddhist dharma, across multiple and intersecting lines of difference that include, but are not limited to: race, ethnicity, sexuality, gender, socio-economic class, age, and dis/abilities.
- To provide a safe and intimate space where People of Color can deepen the practice of meditation and mindful dialogue.To study the dharma from diverse perspectives and to inspire insightful discussions.
- To study the dharma from diverse perspectives and to inspire insightful discussions.
- To cultivate a sense of belonging and community both within the People of Color sangha and the larger IMCW sangha.
Insight meditation cultivates our natural wisdom and compassion. Meditation practice develops concentration, which allows us to calm and steady the mind.
No registration is necessary.
Newcomers to meditation and long time practitioners are welcome to attend IMCW classes. Chairs are always provided or you may bring your sitting gear.
Format of our meeting
- 30-minute sit/walking meditation
- Short dharma talk
- Mindful discusssion
- Dedication of Merit/Closing/Announcements
Optional dinner at a local restaurant after meeting.
These teachings and gatherings are offered freely. If you would like to make a donation (offer dana) to support my teaching and programming of diverse dharma events within IMCW, and to offer Unity Woods a donation for their generosity in lending us their space to practice, you may do so after the meeting. Any amount you are able to offer is greatly appreciated.
Newcomers to meditation and long time practitioners are welcome to attend our classes in metro D.C. No registration is necessary. Chairs are always provided or you may bring your sitting gear.
Please arrive by 3:45 p.m. so that we can begin promptly at 4:00 p.m. If you can volunteer to set up, please let me know and arrive by 3:30 p.m.
PLEASE RSVP so we know how many chairs to set up. Thanks!
If you're wanting to come to the LGBTQ or People of Color Sangha gatherings, and street parking near Unity Woods has got you down, you can pay $8 to park in the garage underneath the building. It can be accessed via the alley off of Woodley Road. Here's a link for more info and directions.
Parking Locator – Colonial Parking
Learn more about the POC group.
Learn more about our ongoing classes
What is Dana?
Any questions? Contact us